Having trouble finding a location on your Garmin? The information below will help. If you need further help remember you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and from our website
(Instructions below are for a Garmin Nuvi. If you have a different model please refer to your owner’s manual for instructions on how to turn maps on and off as well as how to view maps and for using the “near” search function.)
First be sure that the map you want to search is the only one turned on on the GPS by doing the following:
From the main screen of your GPS choose Tools → Settings → Map → Map Info You will now see a list of all maps installed on your GPS and/or SD card. Uncheck all maps except the one you want to search.
In most emerging countries there is a lack of a central address system which can make navigation by the “address” more difficult, so we recommend NOT searching with the Address function. However, there are several other ways programmed into your GPS for finding a destination. You can navigate by:
- Touching a location on the map
- POI – Point of Interest
- Street Intersection
- Latitude and Longitude (Coordinates)
- Your own saved waypoints
All of these methods can be found on the “Where to” screen and they are fairly easy to figure out by simply experimenting with your GPS, but if you need more specific help, please refer to your owner’s manual for your GPS. If you still need further assistance you can contact Garmin support; their contact information can be found at Garmin Support
. You could also send an email to support
and we can provide a more detailed explanation.
Your GPS will automatically show you maps, cities, and POI’s near your current location, so if you want to be able to view a map and search for cities, intersections, and POIs in a country different than the one in which you are currently located you must choose the “Near…” option after you select “Where To?”
To Search for POI’s in a country where you are not currently located use the following steps:
- At the main screen choose “Where To?”
- There should be a button at the bottom of the screen that says “Near…” Touch that button.
- You should now see a screen that shows several choices. You should choose “A Different City”. Then select “OK”.
- You should now see a screen where you can type in the name of a city in the country you wish to view. Choose “Done” when you have finished typing in the city name.
- You will now see a screen that shows a list of cities. Select the city you typed in.
- You will now see a menu with several icons you can choose. Select whichever fits your needs best. Select “Points of Interest.
- You can now select several categories of POIs or spell out a name. For example, if you want to find hotels select “Lodging,” restaurants choose “Food,” gas stations, choose “Fuel,” etc. You can also choose “spell name” and type in the name of the POI you would like to see.
- After making your selection you will see a list of hotels, gas stations, or restaurants, etc. relating to whichever category you choose.