GPS Installation Instructions
Below are instructions for how to install your new map onto your Garmin GPS device.
STEP 1: Download and Install Garmin BaseCamp
Garmin BaseCamp is used to manage maps for your GPS unit and must be installed on your computer before you view and transfer your map to your GPS. Please install Basecamp on your computer by clicking the icon (below).
STEP 2: Instructions to install and transfer map to your GPS using Garmin Basecamp.
Congratulations! Your map is now installed and ready to be used on your GPS!
View Your New Map On Your Garmin GPS (Nuvi models)
Once you have your new map installed on your Garmin Nuvi GPS unit, follow these instructions to start exploring its features.
- At the main screen, choose the following: Tools → Settings → Map → Map Info.
- You will now see a list of all maps installed on your GPS including your new map from GPSTravelMaps.com. Uncheck all maps except the one you would like to view.
- Go back to the main screen
- At the main screen, choose the following: Where To → Near… → A Different City
- Input or select a city that you want to view
- Select Browse Map (Scroll down to find Browse Map. Browse Map is different than View Map from the main screen).
- You should now see the city you selected.
- ZOOM IN to see more map detail. ZOOM OUT to see more area. (As you zoom out you will see less detail on the map; for example, you may not be able to see roads.)
Note that you can also browse the map and see different areas by dragging your finger across the screen.
How To View Specific Points of Interest
Follow these instructions to view specific points of interest on your new map (for Nuvi models).
At the main screen, choose the following: Where To → Near... → A Different City → (input or select the city to which you want to navigate) → Points of Interest → (select the place that you want to search for, such as a hotel or restaurant) → Map. You should now see the POI and the map detail.
For more tips on navigating with your GPS visit: Tips for Using your GPS!
If you have any other questions visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Are you interested in helping us keep our maps updated? Visit sending tracks to find out how you can send in your tracks and POIs and receive a free update.